Monday, September 29, 2008

Percival

Yes, I have a new rat. His name is Percival, he’s 4.5 weeks old and a beautiful specimen of a black hooded. His stripe evenly extends halfway down his tail. One half pink and one half black. And then his goolies…well…one is black and one is pink. But don’t tell him I told you that. He’s a sensitive little guy.

He is very sweet and affectionate, but also full of baby curiosity. He is such a happy-go-lucky guy and he makes me smile all the time.

Staci brought over two of my boys, Arnold and Walt, to come be Percival’s friends and they’ve been getting along great.

But Becca, you may be thinking, why this new rat when you can hardly care for the rats you have?

I like to think of myself as a seasoned rat owner (I’ve had rats non stop for 11 year) with good advice for all. The problem is, sometimes I don’t take my own advice. And sometimes I’m tired and out of it from my health problems and someone leaves me alone in PetCo.
Before I go any further I ask that no one preach to me. I know I know I know and I feel very guilty about my PetCo purchase already.

I asked to see Percival because the side of his face looked swollen and he was squinting his eye. It all looked very strange to me so I bought him and brought him home, getting down to research. I didn’t fine much to explain his Quasimoto face, so I took him into the vet. She thought that he probably got his eye scratched or hurt in someway and the rest was swelling. So now we’re treating the eye with a special cream and he is getting Baytril for his frequent sneezing.

I’m happy to have him here, though. He’s such a little joy. And I am just as happy to have two of my boys back with me. Arnold in particular has grown to be quite a porker. Do you know who else is happy that Percival is here? Amanda’s Apiro (Pirri). We can’t decide if she wants to mother him or eat him. Amanda is betting that she wants him with pesto sauce. On the other hand, Pirri was much comforted after poor Tula’s passing by my old rat Francis. They seemed to understand each other. Can you say play dates?

I haven’t got any pics of Percival yet (he’s fast!) but I have taken a video. I’ll get it uploaded soon and post it here so you can all see his cuteness.

No comments: