Friday, September 5, 2008

A Tribute to the PICC Line

My PICC line is gone now, but I wanted to share some photos of it. I just think PICC lines are so cool. I mean anytime I get to pass on needle sticks for a month is fine with me. Although, they poked me probably around 10 times to get the darn PICC in, so maybe I got my share anyway...


This here is my arm (duh) and all the glorious tubing that I had to hook myself up to. To the right is the cute little bag of antibiotics and the thing by my hand is the pump.
Here's a blurry photo of the PICC line. I didn't show the part that actually goes into my arm because I figure most people are squemish about that kind of thing.
Here is another blurry photo, this one of my special purse that housed the antibiotic bag and the pump. It had handy compartments for everything and it zipped right up. It looked so normal that I don't think people in public could even tell I was hooked up to something unless they looked closely.
Well, it's back to being poked multiple times for IVs...hopefully I won't have to do that for another couple weeks. That's if I can stay out of the emergency room. I've had some close calls this past week.

4 comments:

Rayne said...

I definitely appreciate my port all the more now.

Unknown said...

That little machine looks exactly like the pump I had to wear each time I had chemo, 48 hours at a time.

Becca said...

It may very well be the same one! We used Option Care (a home health service) and they did all the dressing changes and provided all the supplies and whatnot. I had to wear that pump 24/7. I was given a full dose of antibiotics every 8 hours and the rest of the time I was given small amounts every 10 minutes to keep the line open.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.