Friday, September 5, 2008

Victoria Magazine


I've always loved Victoria Magazine. I'm not sure when I read my first issue but I'm guessing it was around three years ago. My Gramma had been going through some things in the house and found a small stack of old issues dating back as far as 1988. I was dismayed when I heard the magazine had stopped being published around 2001 or so. I searched online but it seemed that, besides some overpriced back issues, the magazine had all but disappeared.


That was when our neighbor from across the street (who joins us at for afternoon tea quite often) started bringing over years and years worth of Victoria magazines she no longer wanted. I took them all home where I got a start on them but was soon distracted by other things and forgot about them. My mother however, who spends her free time journaling and looking at decorating magazines, picked up where I left off. After she was done the magazines somehow found their way into the black hole that is the space underneath our living room coffee table.

Recently my mom, in an attempt to clean the living room a bit, rediscovered the Victoria magazines and started going through them again, dogearing pages to her hearts content. It wasn't long before I picked up an issue and was pleasantly reminded of the blessing I'd left behind. I grabbed a few issues and disappreared to my room to read. Sometimes I was in too much pain to read all of the articles, but the beautiful pictures that mixed the 90s grainy camera with Victorian homes, wares, and clothing were enough.

The articles rekindled my desire for creative endeavors that translated into small but meaningful acts of love. I started watercoloring again. I watercolored thank you cards that I wrote out and sent instead of emailed. I watercolored small pictures and presented them to my mom when I was up one night because of pain. "These are things that remind me of you," I said, wishing I could capture more of her like her hands, so beautiful to me because of how they have reached out to care and to love. Or her smell, baby powder and lavender and that mysterious scent that a child will always recognize as their parents'. And what is it she puts in my tea that makes it so much sweeter?

Anyway, back on topic. About 6 months or so ago Victoria magazine came back in all its glory. Today, my Mom bought me the autumn issue to look at and I must say I'm quite pleased. Some thing have changed; there is extended content online, for example. But overall, the feeling and principles of the magazine remain the same.

Probably not many 21-year-old young women read Victoria, but I'm the girl who started attending english afternoon tea (a tradition passed on to our family by a British neighbor. We now live in her old house) from the day I was brought home from the hospital. I developed a taste for scones, clotted cream and cucumber sandwiches. Anytime a tea house sprang up in our area we were sure to frequent it on special occasions.

I grew up reading books like The Edwardian Lady, Brambly Hedge, Beatrix Potter, The Secret Garden, etc. All of our dishes were collectables featuring the artwork of the first three authors I mentioned. I decided at the age of 9 or 10 that I wanted to be an interior decorator. My mom has always decorated our house with a garden theme and, again, many of our decorations were collectables from those three authors. One of my favorite things was my Benjamin Bunny music box.

My Grandfather was a poet and playwright. Ever seen the play of the Wind and the Willows? My Grandfather, Joeseph Baldwin wrote that. My Grandma on my father's side paints a lot of botanicals, her forte being watercolor. My mother, too, does artwork that could pass for British garden themes any day. Flora and fauna were a subject of education as well, my mothing bringing up my sister and I to appreciate all things that grow. If we visited another city there was not one garden we left unvisited.

So, you see, I grew up with an appreciation for the kind of things in this magazine. It is a breath of fresh air to me. I think you'll like it as well. Instead of fashion spreads full of the latest off the runways you'll fashion studies on things like linen or antique wedding dresses. Instead of recipes for macaroni and cheese and chocolate cake you'll find recipes for lavender jelly, scones and strawberry tarts. Instead of tips on how to get rid of that pesky flab you'll find poems, remembrances and reflections on such subjects as gardening and kindred spirits. Instead of an interview with the celebrity of the moment you'll find articles dedicated to such women as Tasha Tudor or the wife of Thomas Edison. Instead of decorating ideas on how to make polka dots work for your living room, you'll visit some of the most beautiful Victorian homes in the country.

I think you all get the idea!
EDIT
And because Rayne asked for it:
Baldwin Family Cucumber Sandwiches
1 package small dark brown (I think they're rye) bread slices (you can usually find these near the deli, they're about 2 in x 2 in)
1 cucumber
1 container cream cheese
Fresh dill
Cut cucumber into desired size slices. Chop dill so that most of the leaves seperate from the stems. Spread bread slices with cream cheese and top with on slice cucumber and a sprinkling of chopped dill.
For a different variation try substituting the cucumber with tomatoes and sprinkling with salt and/or black pepper. Or even try sugar to give the sandwich more of a sweet taste (this is how I like them)!

4 comments:

Rayne said...

These magazines sound absolutely delightful!
You have got to tell me how to make cucumber sandwiches. I've always wanted to try one.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://icafytyhi.maddsites.com/ahylyt.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://odoxyqakis.exactpages.com/ryruhud.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my web site to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]